This actually will be the very first time a series that we're working on has a Blu-Ray source, and it has brought about some discussion on how we will handle the encoding. Assuming that the material is 1080p, we've decided at a minimum we will do the following:
- 1080p 10-bit h.264 softsubs
- 720p 8-bit h.264 hardsubs
- 480p XviD hardsubs
- 1080p 8-bit h.264 hardsubs
- 720p 10-bit h.264 softsubs
1. Would there be any benefit to encoding a 1080p hardsubbed version, considering the potentially very limited subset of people who would want it? The subset of folks who might want this is even smaller than those who want XviD encodes.
2. Would a 720p softsubbed version make sense with a 1080p softsubbed version? I'm not aware of a situation where someone who would prefer a 720p softsubbed version versus a 1080p softsubbed version, but there might be situations where there might be such a preference.
Please keep this discussion civil; if you need to insult someone, insult me instead of your fellow commenters.